Captive Breeding

Posted By Talfish 4/3/2008 7:47:52 PM
Add to Favorites0
Talfish
 Posted 4/3/2008 7:47:52 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 12/29/2011 8:53:28 PM
Hi Eric,

I hope all is wellSmile When we last spoke after the Michigan Conference I told you that I was going to try some fish breeding (thanks to FrankWink) and I was thinking about trying to do some corals as well.

Since my Pocillopora are already going at it on their ownw00t I'd like to try another type.  What would you suggest that I try?  I have a fairly wide variety to choose from, Euphyllia being my favorites.  I've read your articles on RC and there was an article in FAMA magazine this month about how they're doing it at the Omaha Zoo.  It's a little vague in certain areas so I'm hoping you can clarify it a bit for me.

I understand capturing the larvae with the 800 micron bags and seeding small tiles, etc. ... but I'm not clear about having the bags over the colonies all the time or only at night? 

I'm also wondering about stocking a breeding tank.  Should I only have one species?  How many small colonies per tank?... assuming a 10-20 gallon tank.

If you were going to attempt this, how would you set up a 20G long tank for instance?

Thanks, Tal

www.fishtalpropagations.com

Eric Borneman
 Posted 4/4/2008 4:46:12 AM

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6/4/2010 8:00:55 AM
I would work with one species. I think Euphyllia would be a great one to try. Not sure if a 20 is large enough as the colonies need to be a certain size or age and that's hard to know given the collection methods. I would start with E. glabrescens. You put the mesh around the colony at night and collect/look for larvae in the morning. You don't want the coral to stay in the mesh because it impedes water flow and blocks light and prevents feeding. I think Euphyllia will be good because they are hermaphroditic, feed well, do not require much light, do not require much flow, tolerate higher nutrients, and their growth form probably means they reach reproductive age when the polyp is full grown. As to their brooding cycle, if you get larvae, you'll want to count every night to see if there is rhythmicity. For example, Pocillopora release in a monthly curve with many larvae produced over a few nights and hardly any the rest of the month. You will then know which nights to start putting the corals in their mesh containers and they can just be out for the rest of the month. Perhaps their cycle is shorter, or perhaps they are dribblers, like some Agaricia (but not others), releasing a couple every night.

The people who are trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. How can I?
Light up the darkness.
- Bob Marley
Talfish
 Posted 4/4/2008 2:44:06 PM

That helps a lot.  I figured the netting would only be done at night due to the reasons you pointed out.  As far as Euphyllia go, E. glabrescens and E. cristata are the only 2 that I don't haveWink figures. 

As far as colony age is concerend I have a colony that is somewhere between E. paradivisa and E. parancora(it has both types of tentacle shapes) I've had that colony for almost 2 years... I'm not sure how long the person I got it from had it but I might be able to find out.  Would that be an appropriate age to start with? 

Tal

Eric Borneman
 Posted 4/5/2008 4:43:25 AM

Well, he didn't raise it from a larva, so it could be much older than that. Yes, two years is potentially fine for brooders. Do you have availability of more. You can't really start with one unless there is a high degree of self-fertilization.

The people who are trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. How can I?
Light up the darkness.
- Bob Marley
Talfish
 Posted 4/5/2008 11:13:38 AM

I have 8 different colors/types:

I think they're all in there somewhereSmile

Eric Borneman
 Posted 4/6/2008 4:13:26 AM

I'm not sure you'll get fertilization between different species and you should stick to all E. glabrescens or all E. parancora, or all E. yaeyaemensis, etc.

Light up the darkness.
- Bob Marley
Talfish
 Posted 4/6/2008 3:36:58 PM

I understand.  What will happen if I mix different color morphs?

Eric Borneman
 Posted 4/7/2008 4:25:15 AM

No problem.

Light up the darkness.
- Bob Marley
Talfish
 Posted 4/7/2008 8:29:28 PM

LOL, I meant what will the outcome be if I mix different colors and they happen to mix?

Eric Borneman
 Posted 4/8/2008 4:22:51 AM

good question. I don't know if you will have dominant traits that will/could affect the phenotype or if you will have incomplete dominance or co-dominance (like ABO for blood, and coral color genes are suspected to be a three gene complex)

Light up the darkness.
- Bob Marley