Marine Depot Forums

Aiptasia

Posted By ryanpfaffer 3/9/2008 4:21:48 PM
Add to Favorites2
ryanpfaffer
 Posted 3/9/2008 4:21:48 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5/13/2008 4:19:41 PM
Any suggestions. Ive seen a few in my tank and Ive read about a few natural eaters of these guys... How dangerous are they though?

Ryan
argi
 Posted 3/9/2008 4:27:32 PM

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday @ 2:37:44 PM
One or two are generally not a problem, but they spread quickly (if only they were a desirable anemone).  That is where the problems start.  They will start to sting your corals and normally they win the battle and can start killing your corals.  I have seen tanks that have become over run with them to the point where the tank had no corals, just aiptasia.  The best time to get rid of them is when your first see them.  The longer you put it off, the harder it will be to get them.

I have used two methods for getting rid of ones I have acquired.  Peppermint shrimp are usually my first line of defense.  So far I have been very lucky as every time they have wanted to eat the aiptasia.  Some people have gotten them and they wouldn't touch them.  I have used them on 3-4 occasions and have been 100% sucessful with them.  In other tanks where I didn't want the shrimp for one reason or another I have used Joe's Juice.  Again that has worked great for me.

HTH,

Keith

"Simply put, you believe that things or people make you unhappy, but this is not accurate. You make yourself unhappy." Wayne Dyer

koletrain
 Posted 3/9/2008 6:43:39 PM

Last Active: 3/31/2008 1:50:26 PM
Just as Keith says, they can go from 1 or 2 to the whole tank in no time. Peppermints usually work great in my experience as well. Another possible option in a fowlr tank would be a copper banded butterfly.

-------------------------------------------------------------

When in doubt, test your water!

Reefski
 Posted 3/9/2008 8:09:12 PM

Last Active: 8/20/2013 1:00:42 PM
what is wrong with a copper band in a reef tank?

------------------------------------

Carl-
"Pain is temporary, but quitting lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong

We are all stardust
Sun powered reef

Venice Beach California
koletrain
 Posted 3/9/2008 8:15:43 PM

Copper bands have been noted as coral nippers, especially clam mantels. Some have good luck with them, other's not so good. I haven't tried keeping one in my main tank due to the reputation but they seem to behave in our display tanks, as long as they're fed

ryanpfaffer
 Posted 3/9/2008 10:00:10 PM

Last Active: 5/13/2008 4:19:41 PM
I have also heard that peppermints might "nip" at coral... Or get lazy and start eating the "gourmet food" that I feed my fish.

If this is true...

Could I starve the fish?

Kind of off topic...

What do you guys feed your corals? Ive been using Rotifers and my tank is developed nicely.

My Last post before this was about my dwarf angel and "Cloud Eye"

I started him out on Garlic Gaurd by sea chem... How long before results If there is any?

Thanks too all!

Ryan

argi
 Posted 3/10/2008 3:18:26 AM

ryanpfaffer (3/9/2008)
I have also heard that peppermints might "nip" at coral... Or get lazy and start eating the "gourmet food" that I feed my fish.

If this is true...

Could I starve the fish?

Mine have never gone after corals at all.  Yes they will go after other food sources, but IME even when eating other foods (flake, frozen, etc..) they still went after aiptasia.

ryanpfaffer (3/9/2008)
Kind of off topic...

What do you guys feed your corals? Ive been using Rotifers and my tank is developed nicely.

In the past I have used phytoplankton (DT's and Liquid Life), but currently I have not fed anything that is directed towards my corals.  The only thing I add is a two part supplement.  Many of my LPS corals and anemones will catch some food when I feed my fish, but I don't do any type of phyto's or such for my tank.  I should note this tank is a mixed reef, mainly LPS and anemones but there are a couple of SPS corals as well.

ryanpfaffer (3/9/2008)
My Last post before this was about my dwarf angel and "Cloud Eye"

I started him out on Garlic Gaurd by sea chem... How long before results If there is any?

Thanks too all!

I have never had to battle cloudy eye in a saltwater tank.  Garlic Guard from my understanding will help build up a fishes immunity, but I don't think it will directly help cure any type of illness.

Keith

"Simply put, you believe that things or people make you unhappy, but this is not accurate. You make yourself unhappy." Wayne Dyer

koletrain
 Posted 3/10/2008 3:44:38 PM

IME aswell I have never had peppermints go after my corals. They do a great job of cleaning up any left over food in the tank, BUT, I do have a newbie friend who swears one of his is eating his zooanthids, I haven't witnessed this but he says if he sees it doing it again he's going to squash it.

As for feeding my corals, I'm in the process of switching from a mixed reef to an sps, I use elos pro skimmer and elos omega. occasionally I use marine snow(when I remember and feel like shutting down half my system) but thats not very often.

Garlic guard IS NOT a medication and wont help heal your fish. What it will do though, is help build the fishes immune system back up, hopefully warding off any other infection and parasites, and help him heal on his own. As long as he appears healthy, swimming, eating, breathing as normal, you should be able to bring it through this no problem

Johnston
 Posted 3/11/2008 7:41:58 PM

Last Active: 1/15/2014 7:36:32 PM
Sorry to jump in here but aiptasias have proved a difficult adversary in my 24-gallon, too. Joes Juice absolutely works, although after some time they begin to return. Granted I haven't been quick to act on their reappearance every time, and that is indeed my bad. But on the Peppermint Shrimp topic ... I already have a coral banded in the tank whose of pretty good size and basically only comes out during feeding. I also have a cleaner shrimp that is significantly smaller but has staked out his area of the tank and is now on a permenent resident. While I only have a few small fish, I do have a lot of corals, hermits and snails, and I really don't want to added any more livestock for fear of adversely affecting the balance we have going on. Would a Peppermint do that, or would it pose no significant impact aside from dealing with these pests? I am (nearly) content with using Joes Juice until space becomes available, I just was reading the thread and thought I'd inquire about it since they are quite the nuisance and I'd prefer not to worry about them. Thanks and sorry for interjecting.

argi
 Posted 3/12/2008 4:46:47 AM

Hey Jeff,

I have kept peppermint shrimp and cleaner shrimp in the same tank with no issues (granted the tank was much larger so territory wasn't much of a concern).  I have not tried keeping them with coral banded shrimp though (actually I have never kept on come to think of it). 

IMO, if you get a single peppermint I don't think it is enough to throw off the balance in your tank.  Then if it does a good job in your tank you could pass it around to other tanks in the office (assuming others have aiptasia and you can catch it).

Keith