Add to Favorites4
Alti
 Posted 12/8/2007 7:39:13 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6/15/2009 10:00:48 PM
Hi Everyone,
After all the new tanks and construction we did on the coral farm last year,
it was a real kick in the butt when the landlord told me that the building was
going to go have major renovations done in the spring. I cant risk having my corals
exposed to that kind of construction environtment so we decided to buy a new
property and start all over. We have been working on it on and off for about a month
now. Its hard since the new place is about 70 miles from where we live now and
I have to go back and forth to keep up with the old farm and spend some time with my
familly. For the most part all we have done til now is basic construction, but hopefully
we will get to water related construction soon.

Some pics of the building before we started.

What looked like a few small stacks of wood in the attic turned out to be a real mess.

Our first batch of supplies.We tried to use as much recycled material as we could.
We got alot of lumber and some other supplies that were going to the landfill. Its
more work to deal with it, but garbage is free and I'd rather use it than have it rot
at the dump.

Some progress shots of construction. We Should have 90% of the basic framing, insulation,
electrical, sheetrock, windows and doors done this week. The heating system will be next and
thats turning out to be alot more work and money than we expected.

Anthony Calfo
 Posted 12/9/2007 10:18:36 AM

Last Active: 3/5/2011 8:23:18 AM
super thanks for sharing my friend... and BTW, I dont think the vent on that wood burning stove is up to PA code :p

Joking aside... very nice work. A question/checkup here: have you employed some kind of vapor-barrier? Plastic sheeting behind the drywall? Incorporated into the insulation, etc?

If not, at least use a REALLY good paint (multi-coats) like Behr. I have used this for many years in my fishrooms and seen nothing else that holds up.

But better yet... if that drywall if not finished yet, simply paint it (to seal it) and then add a layer of TekFoil with the TefkFoil tape. Massive heat/energy savings... low initial outlay... and also extremely light reflective (97%). You can find it at Farmtek:

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/cat1a;ft1_tekfoil_reflective_foil_insulation.html

Anthony Calfo
Alti
 Posted 12/9/2007 11:34:19 AM

No vapor barrier. I was planning on using multiple coats of paint and either bathroom paneling or acryllic sheets over the bottom 4' of all the sheetrock. I will look into that foil.

We are still up in the air on heating this place. We are planning on using a radiant heating system to heat the water and a forced hot air unit to heat the room. This looks like the most expensive part of the whole building and I hate to make a mistake here. I was hoping to incorporate some type of ventilation system which could be hooked up to the forced air ductwork. The air would be sucked in from the ceiling vents along the sides of the room and blown out through a wall on the second floor. Initially we planned on using a regular greenhouse fan and pull the air out through the 2 crawlspaces on either side of the building, but all that hot moist air going through the roof and rafters didnt seem like such a good idea. This is the next major project we need to handle and any input you can give would be greatly appreciated.

The Big Tuna
 Posted 12/11/2007 7:05:35 AM

Last Active: 12/14/2007 7:54:44 PM
Alti,

Nice new spot bro, looks like plenty of room. Are ya gonna build a greenhouse out back yonder? With the art/poster collection that came wt the building I thought for awhile that ya had moved down here to North Carolina!! Beers, Women, & Dogs, YEEEHAAAWWWTongue But seriously, how are you gonna cycle the new systems bf moving the corals in? Are ya gonna use the same table designs as you have now?

Keep up tha good work,

Joshua

Been keepin reefs since wet dry filters were considered "New & Revolutionary"

Life is short, Fish hard!!

Support Autism research. NOW!!!

Alti
 Posted 12/11/2007 6:06:22 PM

It is a ton of work. At first it seemed like we were getting so much dont so fast, but now all the finishing touches are taking forever. These last few days we got some windows in and finished most of the sheetrock. With a little luck we can finish most of the structural work in the next 2 weeks and get to building the tanks.

I am going to seal this thing up as much as humanly possible. I am also installing fans similar to greenhouse cooling fans and vents to remove as much humidity as I can.

Cycling these tanks shouldnt be too much of an issue Josh. I have tons of cycled rock and sand in my current systems that I will be using to seed the new tanks. Most of the tanks in this new farm will be the white pallet tanks I was using at the old place. I am going to have 4 sets of 4 of these tanks and will use one old one on each system. 3 out of the 4 sump I am going to use will be sumps that have been in use for the last 3 years. I dont expect much of a cycle at all, but I am not going to rush anything into the new systmes until im sure they are ready.

Alti
 Posted 12/11/2007 6:31:04 PM

Oops, forgot to mention the greenhouse Smile. One is going up right behind that building. Hopefully we will have it finished this summer. Heres some pics of what we got done these last 2 days.

The Big Tuna
 Posted 12/12/2007 10:31:03 AM

Sounds like a rock solid plan bro! Found a cool new product that I am going to try on the greenhouse this spring & summer - Blue poly shadecloth- absorbs % of red light & is said to help avoid certain corals from getting that "bleached out" look from too much light Cool

Ah might have to make me a road trip up north this summer  Wink

Joshua

Alti
 Posted 12/12/2007 5:19:54 PM

Sounds interesting. Let me know how that shade cloth does.

I just hope im going to be able to handle this much water. Its not bad since im going to be living on the same property, but its tough when there are so many construction projects going on.

The Big Tuna
 Posted 12/14/2007 7:59:13 PM

Dude,

Theres an easy solution to making more time available to the corals bro, quit sleeping, don't plan on doing nuthin on yer day off, & con yer kids into thinking it's "Cool" to help do water changes Wink But ya may have to up yer alchol intake to compensate for da changes to the normal routine w00t

Keep up da good work,

Joshua

Anthony Calfo
 Posted 12/15/2007 5:36:09 PM

Last Active: 3/5/2011 8:23:18 AM
check your local utilities websites bro... ours (in Pittsburgh) have online tools that allow you to toggle your various appliances (furnace, fridge, washer, drier, AC) with each running on gas vs electric to help you figure out with local ambient temps and local utility costs... how much it will cost to run any given item a certain way.

This utility on my Electric COs website convinced me to stick with natural gas for my furnace and drier! Kudos to the Electric Co for the service.

What is your electricity cost bro? Ours is 16 cents per kw hr and its still cheaper for us to use natural gas to heat the greenhouses, fishrooms, etc.

Anthony Calfo