Marine Depot Forums

Adding more LR

Posted By ericmcj31 11/4/2007 2:45:16 PM
Add to Favorites2
ericmcj31
 Posted 11/4/2007 2:45:16 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11/17/2008 6:23:18 PM
Was wondering-got my 135 gallon tank with roughly 100 pounds of LR in it, a local person is selling some of his rock b/c he's downsizing.  His rock has been in his tank for a couple of years now.  I'm planning on putting between 50-100 pounds of his rock in my 135-should there be any steps I should take like major water change afterwards, or anything at all ?  I am transferring the rock by way of my rubbermaid trash can I use to mix my water for changes every week (and then thorougly washing it afterwards), so the rock will be out of his tank, and into mine with less than 2-3 mins. total time out of water.  So should I expect a major die off? or should I add a little ata  time? if so, how much and often?  Just knew the rock was a great deal that I would have tobuy eventually, but i didn't want my tank to "crash" b/c of too much overload or adding to much at one time.  Thanks.

Eric
CTReefer
 Posted 11/4/2007 5:09:44 PM

Last Active: 4/25/2012 5:10:36 PM
Hi Eric: Well, this certainly would be considered totally "cured" LR if it's been in his tank that long. Just know that you are taking a chance of introducing some unwanted critters into your tank by adding this LR. Have you seen this LR in his tank & looked for any obvious things like Aptasia for example? That is something that you definitely don't want in your tank. w00t

In any case, I would only put about 60 to 80 lbs. of LR in your tank if I were you. You don't really want to load the tank up with too much LR. That being said, as long as you make sure that the SG & water temp are the same as in your tank, then I see no reason why you simply can't add the LR all at once without much worry. However, I would suggest doing a large water change around a day or two after the addition of this new LR. Good luck & let us know how you make out.

Steve

ericmcj31
 Posted 11/4/2007 6:09:24 PM

Last Active: 11/17/2008 6:23:18 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, steve.  The rock is actually man-made, apparently out of oyster shells or something.  It looks great, I know the rock doesn't have any (bad) hitchhikers or anything like that.  I will do a large water change within 48 hours after adding the rock.  Any thoughts on the man-made rock beit negative or positive?

Eric