Marine Depot Forums

My 54 corner tank

Posted By argi 10/10/2007 6:44:21 PM
Add to Favorites1
argi
 Posted 10/10/2007 6:44:21 PM

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago @ 11:06:57 PM
Due to many different factors I needed to downsize my 220 gallon tank and went with just a single 54 corner bowfront tank.  I have had the tank for about 2 years now and recently moved it and re-aquascaped it and added a few new items (hardgoods and livegoods).

Quick rundown:

Tank: 54 bowfront corner tank with built in overflow

Filtration:  Sump custom made by AquaC to fit under the stand (not much room under these tanks). 

AquaC Urchin skimmer

Carbon is also used (phosban reactor or sometimes just bagged carbon dropped in the sump).

Lighting:  CurrentUSA OuterOrbit (150 watt MH + two 65 watt PC's).  I am using a 14K Phoenix bulb for the MH and one 50/50 bulb (10K/True Actinic) and one True Actinic for the PC's. 

Water Movement:  Mag 5 return pump plus two VorTech pumps (turned all the way down, too much flow for my LPS's if turned up).  One of the vortech's runs 24/7, the other turn on and off every 20 minutes (on 20, off 20, etc..).  I will be upgrading the Vortechs to their wireless controllers once they are available (can't wait!!!).

Misc:  I am using an AquaController Jr. to run the lights, one pump and heater along with monitoring the pH.

I also have an AquaC Calcium reactor (not yet out on the market, pictures to come shortly) that will be up and running soon.  Currently I am just using a two part supplement for calcium and alkalinity.

Fish:  One pair pink skunk clowns, one pair bangaii cardinals and one C. argi (my namesakeBigGrin ).

Corals:  Yes (I can't name them all).

I think that covers most of the tank, let me know if you have any questions.  Sorry for the bad pictures...I will someday learn to take better pictures.

Keith

"Simply put, you believe that things or people make you unhappy, but this is not accurate. You make yourself unhappy." Wayne Dyer

CTReefer
 Posted 10/13/2007 12:46:20 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4/25/2012 5:10:36 PM
Hi Keith: The tank looks even better than when I last saw it. I guess that the overflow from the 225 helped! I still can't believe that you had to give up the big tank but understand why you decided to do it. Wink

Steve

Noctiluca
 Posted 10/13/2007 7:19:38 PM

Last Active: 4/14/2014 12:09:44 AM
Hi Keith, and welcome to MD forum...LOL Your tank looks great. I used to have 15 tanks at one time but now that I'm older and wiser I have decided that it's better to do a good job with less than a substandered job with alot. How long have you had your Cherub(namesake)? Looks like he sure is happy. Anyway nice to see your tank and thanks for all you do for the forum.

Tom
" Living life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, there is no point". Billy Graham
argi
 Posted 10/14/2007 4:23:55 PM

Thanks for the compliments Steve and Tom,

I am much more sane right now between family, pets and only one aquarium.  Someday I will get my dream tank back, but for now I am very happy with the change that needed to occur.

I got the Cherub about a year ago from a fellow reefer.  It was in a tank at a kids museum that he took care of and the tank was coming down.  He wasn't sure how reef safe it was (there was only a few softies in the tank), but so far for me he has been a model citizen.

The anemone I have (suppose to be a green bubble tip, but it is more of a tealish/greenish/brownish nonbubbling anemone) was picked up from a local reefer.  It was a clone from his.  About 5-6 months ago it split into two.  Now that I have moved the tank I think it stressed them a little and noticed today it looks like each of them may be splitting.  So I should have 4 of them within the next day or two along with one LTA.  I am also picking up a rose bubble tip anemone from another fairly local reefer (and member of the MD forums) and I can't wait to add it.  This is slowly turning into an anemone tank, which I wouldn't mind one bit.

Keith

"Simply put, you believe that things or people make you unhappy, but this is not accurate. You make yourself unhappy." Wayne Dyer

mark429
 Posted 10/21/2007 10:29:41 AM

Last Active: 12/8/2008 5:29:46 AM
your tank looks really goodi can't wait till mine looks that full
argi
 Posted 1/5/2008 6:19:26 AM

A couple of new pictures after a water change and scrubbing some algae.  I also tried something a little different with the Vortech's.  I put both on one side and alternate them on/off in 20 minute cycles (still need to upgrade to the wireless wavemaker driver).

Keith