Naso Tang breeding

Posted By Blown63chevy 7/20/2007 1:16:33 PM
Add to Favorites0
Blown63chevy
 Posted 7/20/2007 1:16:33 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10/10/2008 12:47:45 PM
Hi.

I currently have a 400G tank that houses a 12" Male and a 10" femal Naso tang. I am curious as to if anyone has sucessfuly bred this fish or any information that might be available on breeding them.

They have been in my care now for 2 years and the person I got them from had them for about 4 years. They are very healthy and active. I'm just looking for some information on breeding them as i would like to maybe try one day in the future. Thanks.

FMarini
 Posted 7/20/2007 3:24:18 PM

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 12/26/2011 8:29:37 AM
Hi- Thanks for the question.
A few tangs are being/have been bred in captivity. Primarily spawning events occuring in large public aquarium displays. However that gives us clues to how to do this at home. First off, Nasos are quite large at sexual maturity, your not quite there yet, but close. Fish tend to have both a size and age guideline as the female have to be able to sustain good egg production w/o any deleterious physcial effect.
Secondly they require large tall tanks as they mid water spawn and make spawning acensionsmaybe your tank is sufficently large enough for this, althou its unclear. A smaller tang species like zebrasoma might be successful in your size tank, however I'm not sure for Naso sp.
Interestingly a number of commercial firms that siene the planktonic layers and culture fry have been successful w/ a number of tangs, so once you get fry, they can be raised on commercially available first foods (althou pod nauplii are the better choice).
Not sure if i answered your question directly. Please let me know if you need more clarification

Frank
-----------
"We are continually faced with a series of great opportunities disguised as insolvable problems."- John Gardner
Umm_fish
 Posted 7/20/2007 8:00:21 PM

Last Active: 7/25/2013 3:18:31 AM
Frank, if I may ask, what depth tanks are we talking about for some of the smaller tangs? How about for other pelagic spawners (angels, anthias)?

Thanks!

——————————————————
Andy
FMarini
 Posted 7/20/2007 8:29:45 PM

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 12/26/2011 8:29:37 AM
Andy-
as you know w/ centropyge angels they spawn quite nicely in 55 gal barrels (so maybe 4ft tall). Large angels I've never seen successfully spawn.
Anthias spawn pretty frequently in the home aquarium, so height doesn't seems to be a requirement for them.
The reports I've seen about tangs were public aquaria, and these tanks are quite tall and vary from place-to-place.
you know how tall those tanks are.

Frank
-----------
"We are continually faced with a series of great opportunities disguised as insolvable problems."- John Gardner
Umm_fish
 Posted 7/21/2007 3:31:08 PM

Last Active: 7/25/2013 3:18:31 AM
Thanks, Frank!

My Pseudanthias pulcherrimus male has seemed desperate to spawn for some weeks now, but my female is still not following him (or it's been so fast I've never seen it). So, I was worried that tank height might have been a problem. Thanks for allaying my fear. Maybe he's still just being dominant.

I have a new tank in the works and hope to as much as possible stock it with pairs or harems, since reproductive behaviour is just so darn interesting. Smile But, I think I need to limit it to 2' in height as I can't reasonably service much more than that. Still, I was hoping to get a chance to observe some mid- or upper-water column spawners.

Maybe I'll have to plan for some barrels in the basement, too.

And, if I can ever figure out Calanoid culture, who knows...? Wink

——————————————————
Andy
Blown63chevy
 Posted 7/23/2007 11:12:46 AM

Last Active: 10/10/2008 12:47:45 PM
Thanks for the reply and information. The tank measures 7' long, 2.5' wide and 3' tall. The aquascaping is doner so that the majority of the front of the tank as well as the upper 1/3rd of the tank is open for swimming. The male seems to cover the majority of the swimming area but swims more in the lower 2/3rds of teh tank and less time in the upper 1/3. About the only fish that really spends any time in the upper 1/3rd is my pink tail trigger.

Any signs I can look for to see if they are ready to spawn? I had heard from others that Naso's were mid water spawners so I guess you have confirmed this for me.

I do have a second 400 G tank I am in the process of setting up. It has different measurments in that it is 7' long 2' wide and 4' tall. I wonder if it would be a better canidate of a tank.

papafish
 Posted 8/18/2007 11:34:55 PM

Last Active: 12/6/2011 10:06:32 PM
Don't write it off...it may very well happen. Fish spawn in captivity if they are content in their environment. I have a pair of Crosshatch Triggerfish, in their natural habitat, they spawn at 300 foot depth. My 400gal is 21 inches depth...during the "warm" season...daily temps reaching 81F, they spawn regurlarly. Throughout the winter...76F, they compete for food. Their interest in reproduction is nil!!