Marine Depot Forums

saving coral

Posted By eric.battani 12/25/2012 9:19:31 PM
Add to Favorites2
eric.battani
 Posted 12/25/2012 9:19:31 PM

Group: Awaiting Activation
Last Active: 2/2/2013 3:12:32 AM
I got a trumpet candycane coral/ frag the other day from the lfs and it was loosing its color(owner said it came in that way and let me have it). well i got it home thinking i could bring back its color, placed it at the bottom of the tank after a drip acc. and also coral dip and it seems to be doing fine. at night it will eat the brine shrimp that i offer it and durning the day it opens up real nice and full. so its not dead (yet) and my question is am i doing th right thing by keeping it at the very bottom? or do i need to keep it kinda under a overhang to help shield it from some light? or would it be better to place it somewhere in the middle so it can get lots of light? also it does have a little bit of the blue color still in the middle but not around the edges, its kinda of a pinkish brown color. its been that way for about two weeks now.

thanks

eric

" Fish are friends, NOT food "

-Bruce, Anchor, and Chum.
argi
 Posted 12/28/2012 2:44:02 PM

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Today @ 12:23:47 AM
Sorry for the delay in replying. I think you are doing everything right. You want to give it some light, but not a ton. Feeding it is good as well. More than likely it just bleached out and need to re-establish the zoothanella within its tissue. It will take some time, but should come back for you.

Can you post a picture of it?

Keith

"Simply put, you believe that things or people make you unhappy, but this is not accurate. You make yourself unhappy." Wayne Dyer

eric.battani
 Posted 12/30/2012 1:46:25 AM

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Uploads/Images/077b86d0-889a-4497-93ef-1ddf.jpghttp://forum.marinedepot.com/Uploads/Images/03481558-743a-432b-9f93-b7ed.jpg

eric.battani
 Posted 12/30/2012 1:53:26 AM

first pic is with actinic bulbs and second pic is when all lights are on the tank. when its just the actinic bulbs on it looks like it has lots of color and then when the kelvin bulbs cut on it looks washed out in color. but it fills out real nice durning the day and at night it closes up like my other trumpets. it will even eat brine shrimp. so the coral is stil alive.

argi
 Posted 12/30/2012 5:09:22 PM

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Today @ 12:23:47 AM
It does look a little like it may have been starved some, but it looks like you have it on the road to recovery. Great Job!!!!

Keith

"Simply put, you believe that things or people make you unhappy, but this is not accurate. You make yourself unhappy." Wayne Dyer