Marine Depot Forums

Protein Skimmer Advice

Posted By nolefan 12/14/2011 6:13:26 PM
Add to Favorites2
nolefan
 Posted 12/14/2011 6:13:26 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 12/17/2011 7:00:59 PM
I have a 55 gallon tall (show) tank with a 10 gallon sump. I use live rock and sand as my only form of filtration. I have a nova extreme pro lighting setup.  I only have one fish but am looking to get more. Ultimately, I'm hoping to incorporate corals. Now...to the question. What kind of protein skimmer would everyone recommend? I'm not looking to get another large pump (like the large return pump in the sump) and I'm trying to keep plumbing to a minimum. I've heard that a hang on back would be well and many have suggested the remora and/or the bak pak. Which of these two is better? I'm trying to minimize noise, maximize effectiveness, and try to get the most "set it and forget it" type skimmer (although I know every filter will need to be fine tuned as far as collection cup, etc.).

Either way, should I go with the drain fitting option? What about a preskimmer box (I ask because I already have the overflow to the sump)? Thanks in advance!

argi
 Posted 12/15/2011 4:24:34 AM

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago @ 11:25:55 PM
Is there any way to go with a larger sump and put a skimmer in there?  IMO and IME in sump skimmers will do a much, much better job than hang on the back style skimmers.

If that isn't an option, then I would recommend the AquaMaxx HOB-1...that is what I am using on my tank and love it.  I had a Remora on the tank before that, and while happy with it still like the AquaMaxx better.  I haven't tried the CPR, but have heard good things about it.

Keith

"Simply put, you believe that things or people make you unhappy, but this is not accurate. You make yourself unhappy." Wayne Dyer

nolefan
 Posted 12/15/2011 3:20:56 PM

Last Active: 12/17/2011 7:00:59 PM
I'd love to increase the size of my sump but I don't think it's possible. Since my tank is tall and narrow, my stand is just as narrow. I can fit a 10 gallon aquarium underneath but when I researched getting a larger one, I found they were too big (when measuring from front to back). Any suggestions?

I was also thinking of getting rid of my sump altogether and strictly relying on a skimmer. Would this be a bad idea?

I had a question about corals also. What coral would be easy to maintain (would grow well) and wouldn't potentially harm fish (I have a clownfish that I'm trying to find something for him to enjoy)?

argi
 Posted 12/16/2011 10:15:45 AM

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago @ 11:25:55 PM
If you don't mind spending a little bit of money on a custom sump, you could get something that will be able to fit inside.  They do make a 16 and 20 gallon tank that has the same footprint as the 10 gallon, but that won't do you any good, you need something longer.

I personally like sumps, you can hide most of your equipment in there and they allow the tank to keep a constant water level.

I would suggest looking at leather corals, soft corals and mushrooms.  Most of them tend to be fairly hardy and should do well for you (with proper lighting and water quality).

Keith

"Simply put, you believe that things or people make you unhappy, but this is not accurate. You make yourself unhappy." Wayne Dyer

kmooresf
 Posted 12/17/2011 5:20:02 PM

Last Active: 12/17/2011 9:12:48 PM
You might look at "lifereef" filter systems. He makes a HOB skimmer, but IMO could build you a killer sump with skimmer already in it. He can make anything work in very small spaces.

Average reefer...............figure I can alway's learn more from others. Enjoy seeing the results of hard work and passion for reefs. Thought I would join a forum and share some of my results. Peace.
Frank A.
 Posted 12/18/2011 12:49:56 PM

Last Active: 12/13/2012 4:51:47 PM
You could also look into rubbermaid containers. They come in all sizes and shapes,are easy to plumb.

Frank
Walter6
 Posted 2/9/2013 3:05:54 PM

Last Active: 2/11/2013 12:27:17 PM
Hello Guys i think that keep your proteins skimmer operating at an maximum stage, you will need to fresh it. Based on your bioload,you should fresh your skimmer at least per month.Keep in thoughts when establishing up your reservoir that you will need entry to your skimmers regularly. Usually, skimmers are designed to be simple to take apart and fresh.Thanks a lot!!