Marine Depot Forums

Aiptasia eating fish

Posted By s1rk1118 3/23/2010 3:28:07 PM
Add to Favorites2
s1rk1118
 Posted 3/23/2010 3:28:07 PM

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 12/14/2010 3:23:42 PM
I would like to confirm a rumor that a matted filefish will eat aiptasia! I had a rather large infestion that was driving me nuts. I went the chemical route in my refuge with very limited success, but did not try in the main tank (75) due to sheer numbers. Went the Peppermint way in the 75 with no results. Three weeks ago a LFS had filefish. I thought they looked neat so I bought the biggest one they had. As soon as I put him in the tank he nipped at one aiptasia and then left. No change for the next 2 weeks in his aip appetite or the aip population. Today however, it just dawned on me to look for the little buggers. Not a single one was left! Normal feeding (I didn't try to starve him, as I have other fish, and he feeds heartily on whatever I throw in.) and no signs of wear on corals. I have seen other sites suggesting the filefish will do this, but I wanted to add my experience.
borge
 Posted 3/24/2010 1:48:51 AM

Last Active: 2/29/2012 7:19:18 AM
heard this to

-
Little Things
 Posted 3/24/2010 2:02:42 AM

Last Active: 8/24/2010 8:16:15 AM
I've had a tasselled File in a reef tank for a couple of months, its cleared the Apstasia and caused no problems with the corals.

Barry.

Eric Borneman
 Posted 3/24/2010 8:24:56 AM

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6/4/2010 8:00:55 AM
I can't confirm it - never tried. I did have a tassled filefish - one of the most beautiful fish - and it didn't touch them. That was the fish that changed my perception of LFS's. I was a newbie, had a 55 gallon reef, the store owner said it was a great choice, and I naively believed him. The fish got large enough that eventually it could barely turn around in the 55 and just remained essentially motionless until feeding time. I felt so bad and eventually gave it to Aquarium of the Americas.

Klein's butterflyfish work well. I can confirm that. They also love pocilloporids, unfortunately. A close friend has had the same experience on both counts.

The people who are trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. How can I?
Light up the darkness.
- Bob Marley
borge
 Posted 3/24/2010 9:49:50 AM

Last Active: 2/29/2012 7:19:18 AM
I had the other butterfly the rostaratuswhatever, did't look at those aiptaisas damn stupid fish, but ate all the fan worms he did, I had some pretty ones to. It wasn't worth the try, and I've lately come to use aiptaisa x witch works 80% of the times. Some I've had do to dose more than once, few more than thrice and one medium sized one still freakin lives after a bunch of times.
Now it's such a bother that I don't care and cannot wait to build new house with new tank (half the height for easy reach)

-
Eric Borneman
 Posted 3/25/2010 9:31:15 AM

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6/4/2010 8:00:55 AM
Same experience here - like peppermint shrimp, they will not eat Aiptasia in my experience as long as there are other choices - notably fan worms. But, it put in a tank with nothing else, they will. The shrimp seem to do fine on Aiptasia and other things they pick at but a copperband does not. In the absences of other food, they eat Aiptasia but its not nutritionally enough. I know some have had really good luck with them, but it is clearly not a given. The klein's are the first I have had to eat them quickly and apparently completely even with other foods available - with the downside of some coral eating, too.

The people who are trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. How can I?
Light up the darkness.
- Bob Marley
3D-Reef
 Posted 3/25/2010 10:47:16 AM

Last Active: 4/28/2013 1:30:50 PM
I have had the same experience with the klein's.He wiped out the aiptasia then proceeded to pick/eat at My elegance coral.At which time I took him back to the LFS.

I now have a small tassle filefish,but he hasn't been in there but a couple of weeks and I haven't noticed if he's been eating them or not.